(The above photo was taken at Tre Cime, in the Italian Dolomites. Please ignore Stephen's terrible hair.)
The Castles and Rotorcraft website is the vehicle through which we loosely document our lives, or at least the interesting subset of our lives. In that sense it makes for a poor historical record, but if nothing else it serves as a memory jogger for the two of us when the images in our enfeebled minds begin to fade. And for those in some way connected to our lives, it hopefully provides an introductory insight into our goings ons.
Our current geographic and professional status: Bergamo, Italy, just outside of Milan. Stewart is fully retired and fully immersed in multiple local Toastmasters Clubs. I am flying helicopters here and yonder for a private client, and at various times contemplating the spectacle of my life as my 50th birthday creeps ever closer. We travel when we can, and at other times we just enjoy the Italian ambience and hospitality.
You can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com, and we are also (variously) on Skype, Twitter, WhatsApp, Facebook, FB Messenger, LinkedIn, and god knows what else. If any of the non-e-mail options suit you better, just ask and we can provide details. Also, if you'd like me to send you a note whenever we update this website, just put in your e-mail address below:
The U.S. Senate Intelligence Committee's Report on Torture, although I can only read short bursts before it becomes unbearable. At which point I've been taking a break and reading Dante's Divine Comedy. Made it through Hell, and about halfway through Purgatory.
- National Geographic
- The Economist
- The New York Times
- Pro Publica (propublica.org). An independent, non-profit newsroom with numerous Pulitzer Prize Awards to its credit.
- (U.S.) National Public Radio. We still listen to NPR virtually every day here in Italy.
- The National Resources Defense Council (nrdc.org). Sort of like the ACLU for flora and fauna, it ensures the Environment has a say in DC and the courts.
- Center For Inquiry (centerforinquiry.net). Recently merged with Richard Dawkins' organization, it is one of the many groups guiding America towards a society and government based upon secular values.
- Human Rights Campaign (hrc.org). The leading LGBT political advocacy group in the U.S.
- American Civil Liberties Union (aclu.org). Incalculably effective in the fight for people of color, the LGBT community, and for women.
- Freedom From Religion Foundation (ffrf.org). The only wall America needs is between Church and State.
CURRENT POLITICAL THOUGHTS
The anti-intellectual, post-truth freight train that rolled over our political system this year has left us in a perpetual state of shock. And the Electoral College process that results in a California vote counting only a fraction of that of an Idaho one, has become an embarrassing absurdity.