The Castles and Rotorcraft website is the vehicle through which we loosely document our lives, or at least the interesting subset of our lives. In that sense it makes for a poor historical record, but if nothing else it serves as a memory jogger for the two of us when the images in our enfeebled minds begin to fade. And for those in some way connected to our lives, it hopefully provides an introductory insight into our goings ons.
Our current geographic and professional status: Dublin, Ireland, just north of the River Liffey and a little west of downtown proper. Stewart is fully retired and fully immersed in Trinity College coursework, and a local Toastmasters Club. I am flying helicopters here and yonder for a private client, and at various times contemplating the spectacle of my life as my 50th birthday came and went. We travel when we can, and at other times we just enjoy the Irish ambience and hospitality. And Guinness, of course.
You can reach us at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org, and we are also (variously) on Skype, Twitter, WhatsApp, Facebook, FB Messenger, LinkedIn, and god knows what else. If any of the non-e-mail options suit you better, just ask and we can provide details. Also, if you'd like me to send you a note whenever we update this website, just put in your e-mail address below.
James Joyce's Ulysses, with annotations. It is not easy going, but I've already bought the lemon soap from Sweny's so now I'm committed. Also Scottish Emigration to Colonial America, 1607-1785. Stewart is reading numerous Irish history texts, and Alfie, a biography of Dublin's longest-serving mayor.
- The New York Times
- The New Yorker
- National Geographic
- (U.S.) National Public Radio. We still listen to NPR virtually every day here in Ireland.
- American Civil Liberties Union (aclu.org). Incalculably effective in the fight for people of color, the LGBT community, and for women.
- Southern Poverty Law Center (splcenter.org). A smaller and more narrowly-focused version of the ACLU. Strong advocate against hate groups.
- The National Resources Defense Council (nrdc.org). Sort of like the ACLU for flora and fauna, it ensures the Environment has a say in DC and the courts.
- Center For Inquiry (centerforinquiry.net). Recently merged with Richard Dawkins' organization, it is one of the many groups guiding America towards a society and government based upon secular values.
- Human Rights Campaign (hrc.org). The leading LGBT political advocacy group in the U.S.
CURRENT POLITICAL THOUGHTS
The anti-intellectual, post-truth freight train that rolled over our political system has left us in a perpetual state of shock, and inevitable embarrassment at having to explain the unexplainable to our European colleagues.